Click this button

Foxy People

Thursday, January 26, 2012

#298 - Le Cercle Rouge

Poster Source


Le Cercle Rouge (The Red Circle)
Directed by Jean-Pierre Melville
October 20, 1970
298 on the List



So many foreign films.

The last one was not my life's high point.
But hey, this is all a part of me branching out and learning more about films. And this doesn't look so bad compared to Swedish hippies.

Approx. 140 minutes later:
I have to admit - this is something like 620 minutes later. I've never had a movie entice sleep with such ease before - this one did.

But it's not because it was particularly boring, in fact, I really enjoyed the movie. It's because whenever dialogue wasn't occurring (it almost never did) the movie was completely silent. No background music, chattering extras, birds, nothing. Unnaturally noiseless. This resulted in me clutching the remote like a lifeline, thumb hovering over the Mute button, as I awaited the ear-splitting sound of a cough sure to shatter the deafening silence.

Now, one may say, such a lack of sound may be an artistic view of how stealthy the thieves were in their heist. I agree, and believe that concept is quite clever if it's what Mr. Melville was going for. But if that's the case, it shouldn't have been "gone for" the entire 2 1/4 hours of the film.

Again, I thoroughly enjoyed the story itself. Corey, the beautiful-mustache guy, is calm and collected in a way that urges you to hand over your wallet while you simultaneously applaud. It's a tough process, but he'll walk you through it. He's a gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Sometimes I make blogposts.