Click this button

Foxy People

Monday, January 16, 2012

#303 - Together

Poster Source

Together (Tillsammans)
Directed by Lukas Moodysson
August 25, 2000
303 on the List



The first pothole in my journey, I took a little too much time since I finished Brick. So let's get started.

Together scares me somethin' fierce. It's Swedish. It's just the Swedishest thing I've ever witnessed. Sorry, Swedes.

Also, the tags on Netflix for this film are as follows...


ComediesForeign MoviesGay & Lesbian MoviesForeign ComediesForeign Gay & Lesbian MoviesScandinavian MoviesGay & Lesbian ComediesSwedish Movies

Here goes, I guess.

Approx. 102 most likely painful minutes later:
First off, do not watch this with your parents. All sorts of naked.

Taking place in 1975 Sweden, the title of this movie is a driving force in this film.

One of the characters recalls his childhood, where "18 people lived in two small rooms. The toilet was in the yard." He says that he sometimes wonders whether or not he enjoyed that more, when they had each other, than now, when he has all the money he needs but is alone. "I think loneliness is the most awful thing in this world." I completely agree. As an only child, that struck a chord.

While there were certain moments that were compelling, like that one, and when Goran gets fed up towards the end, I'm still not completely sure why this film is almost smack dab in the middle of the list. Claiming, with naked assurance, superiority to half the list.

But, I will say, I'm pondering it. In a way that I think I will ponder it again in the future.


In some ways, it was a forgetful hippie story about blind rebellion - but in others, it gets to the root of why that whole movement started in the first place. To bring us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Sometimes I make blogposts.