Click this button

Foxy People

Friday, January 6, 2012

#489 - Brick

Poster Source

Brick
Directed by Rian Johnson
April 7, 2006



There's not much for me to say before I watch this one for the first time. I have no idea what it's going to be about, even with the trailer to help. But I do know that I like the feel of it. Word to the wise, that's a red-band trailer, meaning it would only be shown - rarely - before an R rated movie in theaters. You can tell, because the start of the trailer, displaying the rating, is bloodred, instead of skipthroughthemeadowgreen. I honestly don't think it's so bad, but I don't have a kid. Just be aware.

Let's do this.


Approx. 110 minutes later:
Let me begin by clearing up that this is one of the strangest movies I've ever seen. And not the clearest, throughout. I had to read two synopsi(?) in order to make sure I'd gotten it. And I had.

So here's the deal. Understand from the get-go that this is gumshoe film noir. Like those old black and white detective flicks with a lot of "dame" and "rubbed me the wrong way.." kind of talk, except it's not displayed comedically. You need to know it because it's essential to following the story.

Basically everyone in this film is to be regarded as an adult. Virtually no one answers to real adults, goes to class, etc. With the exception of Brendan and the vice principal of the school, and their relationship is construed as a hotshot detective and the mayor/chief of police's might go. I may rewatch this soon, as I think I would have enjoyed it more, knowing all of that sooner.

Essential = Subtitles. I mean that. You don't like subtitles? You suck it up or don't ever watch this movie. Even with a direct English translation flashing at the bottom of the screen, they had my head spinning. No one talks like this in real life. And if they do, I wouldn't engage it.

With all that said, I loved it. The feel was intriguing and had my brain stimulated. It's more art than a reflection of real life. Absolutely. Nothing about this story would really happen, except with older, more vocabulary-crippled gangsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Sometimes I make blogposts.