Click this button

Foxy People

Sunday, January 22, 2012

#405 - Dirty Dancing

Poster Source
Dirty Dancing
Directed by Emile Ardolino
August 21, 1987
405 on the List



As the manliest man you know, I'm not looking forward to the hardcore emasculation that will occur in the next hour and 41 minutes.

Approx. 101 minutes later:
What a fantastic movie.

I'm amazed at how much fun I had watching it. I really am. I wholeheartedly expected this post to list all the reasons why I don't like this classic, while everyone else does. And here I am; everyone else.

And Swayze? Fogettaboutit. Even I fell in love with the dude. Rest in peace, big guy.

I'm not even sure how to wrap this up, since most of you reading this have already seen it and are probably blown away by the idea that I hadn't yet. So I guess that's all.

I loved it. And I'm still a man. Boom.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my very favorite movies, and not just because I'm a chick ... and not just because it's from that magical time when I was just barely in college.

    It's what it represents to me: a time when I was just as idealistic and as naive about the world as Baby was .... and how she still managed to keep that alive as the illusions came to a shattering halt.

    What if her illusions had stood .... once she got to college, would she have become just another early-60s girl, who in spite of all the idealism would have been expected to just hang out taking classes and maybe getting a BA or BS but always after that ultimate prize, the MRS degree...?

    I like to think that the "after" Baby went to college, still full of the idealism to change the world but knowing that it starts with changing yourself. No MRS degree for her right away. She got that degree in economics but instead of going to Biafra or some Asian-Pacific island to help an underdeveloped nation, she saw the poverty and need for development here at home. She went to Appalachia and worked for several years in a health clinic somewhere in the hinterlands of Kentucky .... then moved back to Paterson NJ to work in urban housing. She eventually settled down, had an only child, who has just given her a third grandchild. She's divorced now and looking forward to retiring early from her work with the League of Women Voters. She's got a beach house at the Outer Banks, thanks to the inheritance that Dr. Houseman left her and Lisa. Oh Lisa ... Lisa definitely went the MRS route, but in the early 80s realized it wasn't for her. So she fled to Vermont, joined a commune, and now she and Betty (her life partner) are very happy in Aurora, Colorado where they raise Shih Tzus and ride Harleys.

    It could have happened....

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Sometimes I make blogposts.