Click this button

Foxy People

Friday, February 10, 2012

#174 - Superman: The Movie

Poster Source


Superman: The Movie
Directed by Richard Donner
December 15, 1978



My generation being what it is, we were never quite struck with the glory that was Superman. We were quick to point out how ridiculously overpowered he is, and how this ultimately makes him unattractive as an outlet for the preteen pursuit for power.

One thing that personally got me interested was a show called Smallville. You may remember it. And I'm not talking about what became of it - 10 seasons is reserved for Friends - I'm talking about the first few seasons. That's a Superman I could relate to - he had all the power in the world but he had no idea how to utilize it. (I am mostly saying that I am awesome, here)

After around Season 4, he pretty much grasps everything and becomes Superman. So again, it's hard to tell if the show just turned to poop, or if the idea of an all powerful being - save for little green rocks - goes full circle and ends up just being boring.

Think about that setup for a moment. Every scenario plays out the same way; he's on his way to fight someone: he wins immediately or they have implemented Kryptonite in their weapons somehow, subdue him, and then he wins later. There's no real danger of losing him, so losing interest takes hold - if he was real, we'd take him for granted until he snapped and eyebeamlasered us all.

Approx. 143 minutes later:
Let me begin with a spoiler. This is for the people who have seen it, so if you haven't it's probably not even worth spoiling it for yourself:

Spoiler

So, when he "reversed" time - and I'm not even going into how that would probably have WAY adverse effects on the whole globe and ultimately worse than a teeny nuke - and goes back to save Lane...

He wasn't there the first time for a reason - to build a makeshift dam for that little town that was about to learn to swim real fast. When he reverses time, he never returns to them, despite obviously reversing the new 'Present' to before the mini-dam was built and after it needs to be built. Meaning he sacrificed an entire town's population for one flighty reporter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may have just missed something, but that was a little concerning.

But the TIDE, though! Something with the oceans - I mean c'mon! Did no one know about the earth back then? Did they still think it was as flat as that little sheet of whatever that captured those prisoners at the beginning?

I think they'd lose California anyway, what with all the not-okay that Superman just carried out.

But I digress.

unSpoiler

Superman: The Movie is a piece of work. I didn't hate it, I have to say. I enjoyed it at all the r
ight parts, wished it had better CGI at all the others, et cetera.

I've always found it funny that back in the 30s, when Superman was first thought up, someone in a writing board room somewhere said "A futuristic society will have crystals! Crystals everywhere! That's what Kryptons are all about - crystals!".


I don't have much else of an opinion, but I will sum up something I learned from a man called Bill that I've always found fascinating.

-------

Superman is the only superhero that doesn't use a mask to fight evil, in fact, he uses a mask when he isn't. Clark Kent is his mask; with his squirmy nature, glasses and bad posture.

And what is a superhero mask? It's what Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark all think a superhero is - anonymity. So essentially, Clark Kent is what Superman thinks of non-superheroes - us. He believes us to be weak. And that's how he fits in.

-------


All that aside though, I think even the most asinine of us could recognize a man without his glasses, and not fulfill the writers' assumption that we would all naturally think, "Is that...? Golly no! He's far too confident to have ever worn glasses! How silly of me! What an idea! I best stop this 'rational thinking' nonsense before any form of intelligence threatens to invade again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Sometimes I make blogposts.