Click this button

Foxy People

Monday, March 19, 2012

#465 - 12 Monkeys

Poster Source

12 Monkeys
Directed by Terry Gilliam
January 5, 1996
465 on the List



Netflix says:
In the year 2035, convict James Cole (Bruce Willis) volunteers reluctantly to be sent back in time by scientists to discover the origin of a deadly virus that wiped out nearly all of the earth's population decades earlier. But when Cole is sent mistakenly to 1990 instead of 1996, he's arrested and locked up in a mental hospital, where he meets a psychiatrist (Madeleine Stowe) and the son (Brad Pitt) of a famous virus expert (Christopher Plummer).
By a show of hands, how many of you have heard of this movie?

Interesting.

Tonight, for the first time since Superman: The Movie, I won't just churn out a post about my love/hate relationship with Jack Black. And my roommate, Kris, will be joining me. Say hi, Kris.

"HI KRIS," he declared.

That type of humor needs some learnin' from my fist.

Approx. 130 minutes later:
I'm mystified by this movie. Here's why;

It seems to have successfully evaded being overall popular and well known, while still finding its way onto Best Ever lists. Seriously, go outside right now and yell "12 Monkeys!" - in your neighbor's alarmed face you will find no recognition. Come back inside now.

It's kind of like a car, too. You know - once you buy a Pinto, you see Pintos everywhere. Pintos on TV. Pintos on the highway. Pintos in your neighborhood, climbing in your windows and snatching your people up. I noticed as soon as I finished the film, I found reference to it twice almost immediately after. Even in a Cracked article.

I really did enjoy this film. It has a great feel to it, and a fantastic ending. The theme also grows on you, in a way Doctor Who grew on me.

Oh, and let it be known that Brad Pitt is one of the best actors of all time. Seriously. A more convincing Crazy Guy has never been achieved. Except maybe by Nicolas Cage.

Definitely Nicolas Cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Sometimes I make blogposts.